Clan Crest Lennox - courtesy of www.scotclans.com

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Roles

I've been thinking about the scripture in Ephesians 5:21-29
21 And further, submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

22 For wives, this means submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church. 24 As the church submits to Christ, so you wives should submit to your husbands in everything.

25 For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her 26 to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God’s word.b]">[b] 27 He did this to present her to himself as a glorious church without a spot or wrinkle or any other blemish. Instead, she will be holy and without fault. 28 In the same way, husbands ought to love their wives as they love their own bodies. For a man who loves his wife actually shows love for himself. 29 No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church. 30 And we are members of his body.


That's some amazing stuff right there. Have you really truly reflected on this and what it means in your life? I haven't. Not to the point that I've been convicted of it lately. And even just now going back and looking up the passage again I've realized I've missed verse 21 when it says submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Thinking about my role of submitting as a Christian wife has been convicting but now I have to include the part about doing it because of my reverence for Christ? Where does that fit into my life? Great now I need to rethink this some more. Constantly on a journey, constantly changing. God has definitely been convicting me of having grace for my husband when I want him to change, but submitting to him if he feels that change doesn't happen. When I do it MY WAY it sounds like nagging to him. When I do it in the way that God has called me to submit it sounds like encouragement to him. Wives, I challenge you if your husband's view of you wanting something to be different in him sounds like nagging to him; look at how you respond and seek him out in what could be different in how you encourage him. Sorry that was a huge run-on sentence but basically I'm trying to say look at how you respond to a situation in which you think it should be different than how he views it. If I'm submitting to him as I submit to the Lord than I'm saying to him I trust you to be my leader, even though I see it differently I'm going to trust you in this. I don't mean that you should follow blindly either. Be able to speak your perspective on it in a constructive way that says we are in this together and I am being your help meet to come to this decision. Okay now to try and start working that into my life..........

No comments: